Our last article touched upon several supplements that can help maintain healthy joints. It’s time to shine the light on two particular supplements: GLUCOSAMINE AND CHONDROITIN
We all know it. Most of our grandparents complain about it. But don’t be fooled! Young people can be affected by this condition too. I am talking about ARTHRITIS! Juvenile arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout are all forms of this condition that can come as a result of failing to attend to one’s joint health.
- Glucosamine sulfate: a naturally occurring substance that has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties, can help protect joint cartilage by limiting degeneration and building up levels of cartilage. Glucosamine hydrochloride is absorbed more easily by the body and can be taken in lower dosages and be just as effective as glucosamine sulfate (selfhacked, spine-health).
- Chondroitin sulfate: which is part of a protein molecule that provides cartilage elasticity, helps to reduce the painful swelling in joints that happens when exposed bones in the joint rub together. This is attributable to chondroitin’s anti-inflammatory effect (spine-health).
A Perfect Pairing
These two compounds are helping many people who suffer from arthritic pains and at times, immobility. As we learned previously (https://www.makersnutrition.com/news/2018-04-13-Joint-the-underdogs-that-keep-us-moving/), people of all ages suffer from different forms of arthritis and report the effectiveness of glucosamine and/or chondroitin.
Such synergy benefits not only overall joint health but quality of life as well. It is no wonder that glucosamine and chondroitin are commonly found in the most popular joint supplements. Together, these supplements have powerful effects for those suffering from joint conditions such as arthritis. In one study, people with osteoarthritis given a combination of glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate for 6 months experienced a decrease in stiffness, pain, functional limitation, and joint swelling (selfhacked). This pair doesn’t necessarily have to work alone...
Supplements + Treatments
Many people find it best to take glucosamine and/or chondroitin while practicing:
- Gentle stretching exercises to maintain flexibility and reduce stiffness in muscles and joints. This can also help “maintain overall back health even after a flare-up of osteoarthritis pain is relieved” (spine-health).
- Pool therapy to free the joints of weight, which may be less painful than other types of exercise.
- Low impact exercise such as using a stationary bike or elliptical machine which provide forms of aerobic exercise that are easy on the joints (spine-health).
That’s Not All
Upon further research, I found that glucosamine actually goes beyond supporting joints and healthy cartilage. Here’s how:
- IBS: In one case, children with chronic inflammatory bowel syndrome were given N-acetyl glucosamine, resulting in a clear improvement in their symptoms.
- Lung Cancer: A study revealed “that there was the greatest reduction (51%) of lung cancer associated with high use of glucosamine. In another study, glucosamine was found to arrest lung cancer cells in the G1/S phase.
- Fat Accumulation: Glucosamine has the ability to inhibit the formation of atherosclerosis lesion, which is fat accumulation, and infiltration of inflammatory cells into the lesion.
Interesting Fact: Glucosamine is one of the most common dietary supplements taken by ATHLETES, especially those who have osteoarthritis. A group of athletes with acute knee injuries took glucosamine for 28 days, which resulted in a major improvement in knee flexion and extension when compared to the placebo (selfhacked).
Ready When You Are
Get on the ball, get with the times, and take advantage of what is hot on the market TODAY. Reach out to your premier supplement manufacturer MAKERS NUTRITION at 1-844-625-3771 to speak with an expert who can walk you through the process of manufacturing, graphic design, packaging, and fulfillment.