There is no denying that eating healthy, social distancing, washing our hands more, and wearing a mask can all work in our favor as we face today’s uncertainty. While there is still no known cure for COVID-19, we do know that private label supplements, especially those with antiviral properties, can help people fight infections. Now is the perfect time to launch a product line aiming to fortify the health of many, but more than anything, to provide some hope when it is needed most.
Natural approaches to health have long been used to strengthen the immune system and maintain overall wellbeing. As more scientific evidence surfaces, we are becoming increasingly aware of antiviral supplements’ ability to help fight infections and build up a strong internal defense system.
According to Leo Galland, M.D., a global leader in functional medicine and author of Power Healing: Use the New Integrated Medicine to Heal Yourself, “nutrition and supplementation are unlikely to prevent an infection, but they may help prevent the infection from becoming symptomatic or severe.” Scientists have found that deficiencies in some vitamins and minerals could be linked to poor COVID-19 outcomes, while adequate levels help fight other viruses. Here are some of the findings:
- Vitamin D: Dr. Galland tells Natural Awakenings that vitamin D “stimulates your immune system to produce factors called defensins and cathelicidins that kill viruses.” Israeli researchers found that people with low vitamin D levels were 45% more likely to test positive for the coronavirus and 95% were more likely to be hospitalized. 30-minute sessions of sun exposure and vitamin D-fortified foods can raise levels, as well as taking a daily vitamin D supplement.>
- Potassium: Low levels of potassium were found in 61% of 175 Chinese patients hospitalized with COVID-19, making them more prone to cardiovascular damage, claims the Journal of the American Medical Association. While foods like squash, spinach, and avocadoes can help boost the intake of potassium, which is an important antiviral mineral and electrolyte, a safe and affordable potassium product can help your customers do what they can to come out strong.
- Zinc: Integrative Dietician Nutritionist Nicole DeMasi reports “zinc throws a wrench in the viral replication machine and helps fight infections by boosting the production of antibodies.” Ensuring one’s respective zinc consumption has the potential to lessen some damage done by the coronavirus.
Makers Nutrition does not suggest that supplements can prevent, treat, or cure COVID-19. To that notion, Monisha Bhanote, M.D., an integrative physician in Jacksonville, Florida explains, “much of what we know and can apply is based on viruses of the past.” Here are some antiviral nutrients with proven efficacy:
- Licorice Root Extract: This herb comprises glycyrrhizin that makes it difficult for a virus to attach to and invade a cell, impeding its ability to replicate, slowing the spread from one cell to another. Studies have shown licorice root’s success in combatting an earlier coronavirus, as well as HIV, respiratory infections, herpes, and viral hepatitis. Should you choose to offer a promising private label licorice product, it would be wise to make clear the potential risk for some customers, as those with high blood pressure, kidney disease, cognitive heart failure, or low potassium are advised not to take such a supplement.
- Melatonin: Often associated with sleep, a little-known fact about melatonin is that it also supports antiviral immunity and helps modulate inflammation in viral infections.
- Astragalus: New York City Acupuncturist and Herbalist Tsao-Lin Moy tells Natural Awakenings that astragalus is “one of the most powerful herbs used in Chinese medicine for people with weakened immune systems.” Used for centuries, astragalus is also touted for its anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects.
If you are ready to take the next step in steering your customers to sleep and an overall healthier life, call us at 1-844-625-3771 NOW!
- O’Hara, Ronica. “Natural Antivirals Help in Staying Strong and Healthy.” Natural Awakenings, September 2020, pp. 32-33.