With Halloween just a few days away, we are going to have some fun exploring historically spooky herbs that date back to medieval times of witchcraft and warlocks. Over the years, research has unveiled the truth about these herbs' health benefitting properties, which are now widely used in dietary supplements. Below are 8 popular ones you may choose to manufacture in for your next natural product!
1. St. John's Wort
A plant native to Europe, western Asia, and northern Africa, St. John's wort is touted for its effects in people with depression, menopausal symptoms, and somatic symptom disorder. Some studies show that this herb can be just as effective as multiple prescription antidepressants. Women approaching the age of menopause may benefit greatly from a St. John's wort supplement that includes other herbs, including black cohosh, which helps with hot flashes.
In terms of Hocus Pocus, St. John's wort was very much valued as a protectant against evil and bad luck. People used to even wear it around their neck to prevent fevers and invite good fortune.
A plant associated with wisdom, protection, and purification; sage is also used to attract good fortune. This herb was used in many spells and was believed to purify or cleanse magical tools. Packed with antioxidants, sage supports cognitive function, oral health, and may help manage cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
An herb widely used in spells to promote fidelity; rosemary is also used for better memory. Ritual baths with rosemary were used as a means of blessing and purification, while burning this herb during meditation is believed by some to help connect with past lives. As rosemary plays a role in neutralizing the threat of free radicals, many industry-leading brands offer rosemary to help improve digestion, focus, memory, and vision. The herb is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which are thought to support the immune system and blood circulation.
Often consumed as a tea, chamomile serves many people as a naturally calming agent for stress and anxiety. It can help bring your busy customers to a meditative state when winding down at night before bed. That makes sense when learning chamomile was used as a remedy for nightmares and as a promoter of dreamwork and purification.
5. Mugwort/Artemisia vulgaris
Believed to ward off evil spirits and considered sacred by St. John the Baptist for stomach pain, mugwort was utilized in cleansing rituals and is purported today for a plentitude of health benefits related to stress, energy, sleep, headaches, blood circulation, liver health, menstrual cycles, and muscle aches.
According to the Herb Society of America, when planted near a home, rue "wards off witchcraft and trickery while rendering evil harmless." Some people use this plant extract for their breathing complications, arthritis, headaches, and muscle spasms. While more research is underway, there is also hope on the horizon for its agency in conditions such as Bell's palsy, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis.
It was once believed that a figure lived in the Elderberry tree and helped spirits transition over to the afterworld. The Herb Society informs us further that "while one legend held that cutting elderberry would bring evil to the offender, another legend suggested that evil spirits and witches would be deterred by leaves attached around your front door." Regardless of one's beliefs, elderberry has been scientifically proven to support the immune system, cardiovascular health, and have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant effects on the body. If you become interested in offering these benefits to your soon-to-be customers, we are right here to serve as your elderberry manufacturer.
8. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel comprises many compounds with powerful anti-inflammatory properties like gallic acid and tannins. These compounds help reduce inflammation and neutralize free radicals that can cause disease if left to accumulate. To some, "which hazel" means "a spell." Combine that with the fact that witch hazel's branches were formerly used for locating underground springs of water, therefore believed to be a tree of the devil, and you have yourself a SPOOKY supplement.
Beware, proceed with caution
The above herbal ingredients may interact with a number of medications. That is why you should always include a warning section on your product label. It could be the highest quality supplement handled with care, but that does not make your customers invincible to the possible side effects or interactions that may occur when that supplement is taken with prescribed medication.
Herbal supplement delivery methods
Makers Nutrition has guided thousands of private label entrepreneurs, doctors, naturopaths, and startups in launching thriving businesses due to our diversity in the formats we can deliver: capsules, tablets, caplets, softgels, powders, gummies -- we can meet almost any request for herbal and botanical dietary supplements.
Escape the nightmare supplement manufacturer
Perhaps you've been tricked by your previous supplement service provider. Maybe you are still under their spell! Now in our ninth year of business, we know what separates a great supplement manufacturing partner from a good one. And we know that most other deals anywhere else are not nearly as concise, cohesive, and comprehensible as ours. Makers Nutrition has learned what works better for clients because they come to us with nightmare situations and need our help to escape them. As we continue to learn, we continue to grow into the company clients need us to be.
When partnered with Makers Nutrition, you are guaranteed:
- 24/7 customer support. Say goodbye to the silence you receive when calling your current supplement manufacturing partner. Someone answers our phones around the clock and if our time zones don't sync up, then you can expect a message via email within a day. If you reach out through social media, such as Facebook, then you can expect an even faster response.
- FDA registration. Not all dietary supplement companies are registered with the FDA. If they do not have the documentation to prove what they claim, then what does that mean for how your products are sourced, manufactured, and fulfilled?
- GMP compliance. When a supplement service provider confirms they handle their clients' products in a GMP facility, that means the company follows strict Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines to ensure safety and quality for your customers. This is also important because if the supplements you order are not up to par, then your brand's reputation is in jeopardy.
- What you agreed to. Many clients have run into the roadblock of finding that their specifications were not followed to a T -- time and money wasted. When working with us, we do not proceed until you have approved each step. That is everything from supplement fact panel and label design to printing and packaging.
- No gimmicks or extra fees. Other supplement manufacturers charge you extra for things you should be receiving upfront at a flat rate. We don't surprise you with astronomical fees, we stick to the program so you can dedicate more time, money, and energy to your advertising strategies.
- A seamless process. Why settle for less than a smooth-sailing supplement experience? Our team at Makers Nutrition is committed to making every stage of the supplement process simple and convenient. By removing potential headaches from the equation, you have the peace of mind knowing that your business is in safe hands, from concept to fruition.
Have we brewed your interest? Request a FREE quote and let's #buildabrand your customers turn to for all of their herbal needs!