The global market for vitamins and supplements has experienced exponential growth in recent years, with consumers increasingly prioritizing their health and wellness. As a supplement manufacturer, it is crucial to understand the different delivery formats available in order to meet the diverse needs of consumers. Today, we are taking a look at the various delivery formats of vitamins and supplements, exploring their benefits, drawbacks, and market trends across the globe.
1. Tablets and Capsules:
Tablets and capsules have been popular delivery formats for vitamins and supplements. They offer convenience, ease of use, and precise dosing, making them a go-to choice for many consumers. Tablets are compressed powders, while capsules contain powdered or liquid ingredients encased in a gelatin or vegetarian shell.
The global market for tablets and capsules dominates the supplement industry, accounting for a significant share. The tablets market in particular is anticipated to grow from $61.63 billion (2020) to $104.53 billion in 2025 at a CAGR of 10.6%.
- Easy to use and portable
- Precise dosage and consistent formulation
- Long shelf life and stability
- Suitable for a wide range of ingredients
- Larger size may be difficult for some individuals to swallow
- Slow absorption and potential reduced bioavailability
- May contain additives or excipients that some people prefer to avoid
Softgels are gelatin or vegetarian-based capsules that enclose a liquid or oil-based formula. They offer distinct advantages over traditional tablets and capsules, particularly for fat-soluble vitamins and certain herbal extracts.
The global softgel market was valued at $8.2 billion in 2022 and is estimated to climb over $14 billion by 2030, at a CAGR of 7.6%.
- Easy to swallow due to their smooth exterior
- Enhanced bioavailability for fat-soluble nutrients
- Protection against oxidation for sensitive ingredients
- Suitable for oils and liquid formulations
- Higher manufacturing costs compared to tablets and capsules
- Limited suitability for water-soluble ingredients
- Gelatin-based softgels are potentially unsuitable for vegetarians or vegans
Powders provide flexibility and versatility in delivering vitamins and supplements. They can be mixed with water, juice, smoothies, or added to food, allowing consumers to customize their intake. Powders are available in single sachets, jars, bottles, but are also available in gusset bags of all sizes that can easily be packaged with your brand name.
The global protein powder segment, which makes up a large portion of the overall powder supplement market, was valued at over $22 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $46 billion by 2030, at a CAGR of 8.34%.
- Easy to mix and customize dosing
- Rapid dissolution and absorption
- Suitable for people with difficulty swallowing pills
- Ideal for powdered nutrients and formulations
- Inconvenient for on-the-go consumption
- Risk of inconsistent dosing without proper measuring tools
- Potential for ingredient degradation because of exposure to air and moisture
Gummy vitamins have gained considerable popularity in recent years, particularly among individuals who find it difficult to swallow traditional pills or capsules.
The global gummy market size was valued at over $21 billion in 2022 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 11.8% from 2022-2030. Growth factors such as rising interest in functional and fortified gummies, the availability of gummy supplements in different flavors for customers in search of taste with health benefits, and growing demand for natural products, as well as a growing interest in vegan gummies, are all expected to augment demand over the forecast period.
- Easy to consume: gummy vitamins are a popular choice for individuals who struggle with swallowing pills or capsules. Their chewable format eliminates the discomfort associated with larger tablets or capsules, making them more appealing, especially to children or elderly adults.
- Pleasant taste: gummy vitamins are often formulated with appealing flavors, such as fruit or candy-like tastes, making them more enjoyable to consume. This can be especially appealing to parents of children who are hesitant to take traditional supplements.
- Convenient and portable: gummy vitamins are conveniently packaged and can be easily carried and consumed on the go. Their portability allows people to maintain their supplement routine even when traveling or are away from home.
- Dosing flexibility: gummy supplements offer flexibility in dosing. They can be formulated in various strengths, allowing consumers to tailor their intake based on their specific needs and preferences.
- Added sugar and calories: gummy vitamins often contain added sugars and may contribute to increased calorie consumption, especially if taken in large quantities. This can be a concern for individuals who are watching their sugar intake or trying to manage their weight.
- Limited nutrient profile: due to the formulation constraints of gummies, certain nutrients may not be suitable for this delivery format. Gummy supplements are typically used for vitamins and minerals, but they may not be an ideal option for delivering higher doses or certain types of nutrients.
- Potential stability issues: gummy vitamins are more susceptible to heat and moisture, which can affect their stability and shelf life. Proper storage conditions, such as keeping them in a cool, dry place, are essential to maintaining their quality.
Can’t go wrong
While each delivery format has its pros and cons, they all suit your consumers at large. Some may turn to your brand for capsules, others will turn to you for softgels. Fitness fanatics will want protein powder, while children want berry flavored gummies. It depends on each consumer’s scenario. But by offering all types of formats, you are bound to serve everyone’sneeds.
Why diversity in delivery formats matters
Offering a variety of delivery formats as a vitamin brand brings numerous benefits to your business and consumers.
- Firstly, individuals have varying preferences and needs when it comes to taking dietary supplements. By providing a range of formats, you are catering to the diverse preferences of your customer base. This enhances customer satisfaction and increases the likelihood of repeat purchases.
- Moreover, offering a variety of delivery formats allows vitamin brands to reach a wider audience. Some people may have difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, making softgels or gummies a more appealing option. On the other hand, some may prefer powders they can mix into their favorite beverage or add to their meals. By widening your range, you tap into new market segments.
- Another benefit of offering multiple formats is the potential to provide targeted solutions for consumers. Certain nutrients may be more effective or have better absorption rates in specific formats. For example, fat-soluble vitamins like Vitamin D or Vitamin E are often better absorbed in softgel form. By understanding these nuances, a vitamin brand like yours can offer tailored options that optimize the delivery and absorption of key nutrients for individuals who need it most.
Your vitamin manufacturer
No matter which direction you take, take it with Makers Nutrition as your reliable vitamin manufacturer. We have the capabilities and capacity to manufacture, design, package, and deliver your premium products.
You can’t go wrong with choosing us as your trusted partner in the manufacturing of capsules, tablets, softgels, gummies, or powders for your business. With our commitment to excellence, cutting-edge equipment, and unparalleled expertise, Makers Nutrition offers a comprehensive range of solutions that cater to the unique needs of every health brand and its customers.