Research is proving the pandemic to have had a major impact on Americans who are now heavily invested in using nutraceutical products. Among those Americans are millennials who have a renewed sense of responsibility to act on their overall health and wellness.
According to new research conducted by research group Mintel, among the 78% of Americans who are vitamin users, a third (34%) have increased their usage since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, including nearly half (47%) of millennials. In line with consumers overall, millennials say supporting their overall physical health (66%) and immune system (62%) are the top two reasons for vitamin, mineral, and supplement use.
Mental health emphasis
Millennials prioritize supplement use to support their mental wellness more than consumers overall. They have grown invested in brain-boosting and mood-regulating ingredients such as Vitamin D, magnesium, L-theanine, and curcumin, as well as naturally energizing ingredients that suit their dietary restrictions.
The shift away from multivitamins
While the multivitamin market is still set to reach approximately $104 billion by 2030, consumer interest among millennials is shifting more towards the use of other separately sold vitamins and supplements. For example, according to Mintel, single-letter vitamins, minerals, and supplements have experienced a gradual uptick in usage over recent years. More specifically, single-letter vitamin use increased from 47% in 2018 to 52% in 2022, while mineral supplement use increased from 33% to 42%. Mintel noted that consumers are looking to optimize their health by focusing on supplements they may be lacking for a more personalized approach, rather than a one-size-fits-all multivitamin. Here are some supplements millennials would be most inclined to purchase today.
Vitamins and minerals for millennials
- Vitamin D: Never have millennials been this aware of how important immune health is to their overall wellness. While Vitamin D is attainable through sun exposure, the sun alone does not always meet the body’s needs, and too much sun exposure can lead to health risks like skin cancer. Supplements, on the other hand, can help reach sufficient Vitamin D levels in a safe way. Vitamin D supplements can help support muscles, bones, and blood pressure, along with the immune system in warding off viruses and bacteria.
- Magnesium: While this essential coenzyme assists with hundreds of critical processes within the body, the biggest selling points for millennials are that magnesium has been shown to relax muscles and help vasodilate arteries for optimal blood flow. It is also associated with lowered stress, thereby enhancing quality rest. With all the stress and anxiety abound, millennials will want all the magnesium they can get.
- L-theanine: An amino acid found in green tea, L-theanine is another single supplement that can help with stress and help maintain normal sleep. It assists in better focus and boosting immune system function, making the common cold and flu less likely.
- Curcumin: Used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for everything from joint aches to sprains and liver disorders, curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. As more millennials turn to proactive health initiatives, they would most definitely be interested in your pure curcumin supplement that scientists now believe can play a role in conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, metabolic syndrome, and heart disease with the ingredient’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: While many people get their omega-3 from salmon, mackerel, cod, and sardines, there are more millennials than older generations who follow a vegan diet. Therefore, these consumers need a quality source for plant-based omega-3. Say, in the shape of your softgels, manufactured and packaged in a fully FDA-registered, GMP-compliant facility.
- Plant-based protein: Speaking of plant-based products, plant-based protein is on the rise, as vegans look to increase their energy levels and reach their fitness goals through supplementation. These proteins are especially attractive to millennials as they are lower in calories and fat than animal proteins, but higher in fiber and essential nutrients. Unlike whey protein, which is derived from cow’s milk and contains lactose, plant-based protein is a good option for vegans who are also lactose intolerant. They are better absorbed by the body compared to whey. As a result, the body can gain muscle, recover faster, and gain stamina. Be it to push through a tough workout or to simply improve energy levels, plant based may just be the way to go.
Makers Nutrition is the all-in-one provider than can manufacture your Vitamin D, magnesium, and pea protein products in the form of:
- Gummies – offer delicious flavors
- Softgels – small, easy to swallow
- Capsules – convenient, multicolored
- Powders – make for a great protein drink
- Tablets – on the go, time-release
These can be manufactured and warehoused:
- Within a competitive timeframe
- At low MOQs
- In a state-of-the-art FDA-registered, GMP-compliant facility
Not completely sold on supplements for millennials or Makers Nutrition? Read on.
Capitalize on a moment
We are in the middle of a moment, and a long one at that. Millennials are growing increasingly interested in single-letter vitamins than taking a multivitamin that gives them perhaps more than they need, or not what they need at all. It is time your private label brand take charge of its destiny in becoming the brand that younger consumers turn to for better health. How does that happen?
- Widen your delivery formats
- Offer single ingredient supplements
- Allow Makers Nutrition’s graphic designers to create a striking label that stands out
If you are an ambitious startup CEO, then utilizing our private label services could greatly impact the growth of your business. We carry a vast array of formulas, so you have the freedom to choose one or a few products to start with before expanding your line wisely. Our low minimum order quantities are competitively priced so you can benefit from a higher profit margin. But it’s not just about the MOQs, it’s everything else you get by signing on with Makers Nutrition: quality supplements, excellent customer service, and unbeatable value.
Have you asked the other manufacturers about their QC process? If the other private label vitamin manufacturers you are scoping out do not have a quality department dedicated to testing, then beware. That vitamin manufacturer may be giving you fake, inaccurate, or downright dangerous supplements. It might sound crazy, but it has certainly happened to business owners before they partnered with Makers Nutrition. Unlike the posers, we check for microbiological contaminants, perform heavy metal testing, and make sure the specifications of not only your supplement but those of your supplement’s container are all correct. Then, your products are stored in a climate-controlled warehouse that is checked daily before distribution.
Customer service excelled
Our customer service will make you question why you ever partnered with any other supplement manufacturer. Have a general inquiry and don’t necessarily want to call us just yet? Send us a message on Facebook or Instagram, or contact us via email. We are flexible and want to be the company you need us to be.
Value unlike any other
With another service provider, you could easily find a great price and a fast turnaround time. But will you receive quality vitamins produced exactly as you ordered, around-the-clock service, and the peace of mind that your business is in safe hands? With us, you will.
- “Millennials Are Using Nutritional Supplements More Often Post-pandemic.” Vitamin Retailer, Apr. 2023, pp.10.