Many people, and maybe you fall into this category, experience anxiety. From the hustle and bustle of the day, to buzzing children at home, it can sometimes become too much. Whether it is triggered by one too many tasks or just a train of thought that brings on the heart palpitations, somewhere down the line we must all find time for ourselves. We are here to suggest some ingredient ideas for your next product that could help customers handle stress and anxiety more safely and effectively.
Research suggests that vitamins and supplements can help reduce symptoms associated with anxiety including omega-3s, L-theanine, Vitamin C, saffron, Vitamin D, chamomile, and ashwagandha. GABA and licorice root are also among the top ingredients to manufacture into a supplement that helps put the body and mind as ease. Here’s a bit about each.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids: Vital for proper cognitive function, omega-3s have been shown to improve symptoms of depression, which is often closely connected to anxiety disorders. While consumers can find omega-3 fatty acids in foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, and anchovies, there are nearly 80 million vegans in the world. Nearly 80 million individuals who do not eat fish. Therefore, a custom vegan private label softgel that is plant-based may be a great fit for both these consumers and your business.
2. L-theanine: An amino acid that can improve focus, reduce stress, and support your customers’ relaxation efforts, L-theanine was demonstrated to produce positive effects on mood in humans. A 2020 review of nine studies found that taking doses of L-theanine ranging from 200-400 mg per day may help people exposed to stressful conditions manage their anxiety.
3. Vitamin C: A nutrient that acts as a powerful antioxidant throughout the body, and often associated with immune system health, Vitamin C can help the body combat oxidative stress in people who experience anxiety. It is even safe for younger consumers, like high school students who are stressed with an overload of work and pressure. In one study, 42 high school students took 500 mg of Vitamin C daily for 14 days. Compared to a placebo, Vitamin C helped these students experience reduced feelings of anxiety.
4. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is widely known to regulate mood, and many individuals become deficient in it during the cooler seasons, as they spend much more time inside and less time outside to absorb the sun’s UVB rays which convert into D3. Deficiency in Vitamin D is very common among people with mental health conditions, including anxiety disorders. In 2020, a study which involved 106 people with depression found that 40 mcg of Vitamin D a day for 6 months led to considerable improvements in symptoms of anxiety, compared toa control group. While both Vitamins C and D come in capsule, tablet, and softgel form, if you are interested in offering your customers a tastier option, then consider our flavorful stock gummies and immune health powders. Among Makers Nutrition’s catalog you’ll find our popular Vitamin C orange slice gummies, gluten-free immune berry fizz powder that contains Vitamins C and D, and several different fruity flavored multivitamins that comprise not only the two vitamins, but many other essential nutrients that are needed daily.
5. Saffron: A particularly expensive culinary ingredient, saffron is packed with antioxidant compounds that may be beneficial for people with anxiety when taken in the form of a dietary supplement. A 2018 review of 100 studies determined that saffron supplements helped reduce anxiety and some studies in the review had similar anti-anxiety effects when compared with an anti-anxiety medication. This is not to say that saffron is more effective than prescribed anti-anxiety medication, but saffron may be just as helpful in putting people at ease. While this supplement ingredient may work for many, it is advised that consumers first seek guidance from a licensed physician, as limited research indicates that saffron supplements may cause uterine contractions. Such a warning can easily be listed on your product label by our talented graphic design team who is well-aware of FDA compliance and where certain information should be placed.
6. Chamomile: Usually enjoyed as tea, chamomile is an herbal, some may even claim magical, ingredient for certain ailments. In terms of anxiety, research has established that chamomile houses anti-anxiety and antidepressant properties. A 93-person study with moderate-to-severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder, or GAD, found that daily intake of 1,500 mg of chamomile extract for 26 weeks significantly reduced symptoms associated with anxiety, compared to a placebo. If someone is allergic to familial plants such as chrysanthemums, marigolds, ragweed, or daises, he or she should avoid consuming chamomile supplements. Chamomile may also interact with some medications, including those used to treat anxiety, so again, warning, caution, all of the above.
7. Ashwagandha: Used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine for aging, energy, and anxiety, ashwagandha is thought to be an adaptogen, working to regulate the body’s natural processes and responses to stress, and promote overall health and wellness. Today, it is used in an abundance of supplements targeting those who wish to find some tranquility amidst chaos. We can assist you in the manufacturing, packaging, and fulfillment of a high-quality, peace-promoting ashwagandha capsule, the form in which it is most popularly sold.
If you are just getting your feet wet in the nutraceutical industry and would like to start small, we can easily manufacture high-quality ashwagandha root capsules that are readily available for your private labeling. As we efficiently get your bottles packaged with a standout label design, you can focus more on the marketing and advertising of your product. Use what you have—these stock capsules are non-GMO and vegan friendly. Consumers who are already health conscious will certainly be interested in a supplement that may usually be offered on the market with unnecessary bioengineered organisms, while other consumers who maintain a diet free of any animal derivatives will now have access to a credible source of capsules that are suited just for them.
8. GABA: Gamma-aminobutyric acid is an amino acid and neurotransmitter in the brain that is vital to serotonin production, which affects sleep, mood, bone health, and digestion. Since serotonin is one of the nervous system’s most powerful “feel-good” neurotransmitters, GABA is key to modulating mood, rest, and relaxation. While vitamins can promote GABA levels, GABA can be directly consumed through supplements to help minimize symptoms of anxiety.
9. Valerian root: Used since the times of ancient Greece, valerian root is commonly known as a sleep aid, but can also help with anxiety. Working with the feel-good neurotransmitters in the brain like serotonin, valerian root regulates stress and helps the body and mind relax. A 2020 literature review found that valerian extract helped reduce symptoms of anxiety in multiple studies. Dosages in these studies ranged from 100 mg to 600 mg a day.
10. Licorice root: Though a tasty, sweet treat, I’m not talking about the licorice candy here. In its original state, licorice assists in regulating the production of the stress hormone cortisol, building up the body’s defense against stress and reducing anxiety symptoms. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) is a much-touted form of licorice root that is often sold in the form of capsules, tablets, and powders. No matter the form, Makers can help with it all!
The state of the market
So, you have the ingredients for an excellent custom formula, but don’t know too much about the business opportunity that awaits your brand. Here’s what you need to know: The brain health supplement market was valued at over $13 billion in May 2022. A rising geriatric population and soaring awareness about mental health is contributing greatly to this ever-growing number, and your health brand can partake in not only helping people handle their everyday stresses, but in benefitting from sales made. When your business motives align with consumer goals, then everyone wins, so think about your motives and then give us a call at 1-844-625-3771 to get started on your dietary supplement project.