A nice hot cup of herbal tea works wonders for many different reasons—from feeling under the weather to just needing a soothing cup before bed. But have you considered herbal ingredients for a soothing supplement? Makers Nutrition can facilitate the sourcing, manufacturing, packaging, and fulfillment of high-quality herbal products that help your customers feel better, think clearer, and live well.
Herbal market growth
Globally, the herbal supplement market size is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.8% in the 2018-2026 time frame and reach $8.5 billion by 2025. Attributable is the boom in health consciousness, from workout to better eating habits, in places like North America, India, and China.
North America alone generated the highest market share in regard to revenue in 2017 and is expected to lead the way for global market growth through 2026!
According to Market Watch, consumers are more aware of their nutritional intake and the benefits of herbal supplements, thereby accelerating the market growth for herbal supplements. An increase in gym memberships and health clubs also helps, indirectly propelling the dietary supplement industry forward.
Some 93 million adults are obese in America. Every day, 1 in 3 adults eats fast food. Approximately half of the American population has a least one risk for heart disease. That includes smoking, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. Obesity can lead to not only major health downfalls, but also struggles with mood and anxiety disorders. If you are new to the herbal supplement industry, this is just the beginning of your journey in helping others achieve their lifestyle goals. With the industry expanding full-force ahead and more people showing concern for their own health, your supplements could help lower the number of not only obese people who are at risk for detrimental conditions, but those who are unhappy with their current state, both physically and mentally. What impact are you looking to make?
Herbals ingredients for mental health supplements
Mental health can be broken down into many subcategories, but today we will home in on three major areas that your dietary supplements can help:
- Saffron: Studies have shown that saffron increases levels of the mood-boosting neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. While more research is underway, it is plausible that saffron inhibits serotonin reuptake, thereby retaining it in the brain longer. Two reviews from 2019 found that saffron significantly improved depression severity and was significantly more effective than the placebo. Another review established that saffron supplements have similar efficacy to antidepressant medications in minimizing depressive symptoms. Something to consider!
- N-acetyl-L-cysteine: NAC is a precursor to the amino acids L-cysteine and glutathione. Glutathione is one of the most important antioxidants in the body and is crucial for modulating inflammation and protecting cells from oxidative damage. Research suggests that people with depression are more likely to have higher levels of inflammatory cytokines like C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor alpha. Taking NAC may help reduce such inflammation and ease depressive symptoms. It can also help improve neurotransmitter dysregulation in people with psychiatric disorders. And the dysregulation of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and glutamate could be associated with mood disorders and schizophrenia, among other conditions, so these are some pretty important findings.
- Passionflower: Passionflower refers to a mix of vine flowers with curly purple or blue petals. Specifically, the Passiflora incarnata variety is said to help with insomnia, anxiety, and pain. There have been clinical studies showing the flower’s anxiolytic (anxiety-calming) effects while others have been proven its sedative effects.
- L-theanine: Remember my mention of tea? Well, green tea has been used as a restorative in traditional Chinese medicine, and its bioactive ingredient, L-theanine, is often extracted and used for anxiety symptoms throughout Asia. The anti-anxiety property of L-theanine works through enhanced alpha brain wave activity and an increased synthesis of GABA. Studies have proven that increased GABA supports higher brain levels of serotonin and dopamine, resulting in general feelings of calmness and wellness.
- Creatine, often found in sports nutrition supplements, is an organic acid that plays a vital role in maintaining brain energy, among other functions. Altered brain energy levels are believed to be involved in the development of depression. A 2020 study that included data on 22,692 adults found that depression was 42% higher among adults with the lowest intake of creatine than among adults with the highest intake.
- Ginseng: A top-selling supplement on its own, ginseng is well-known for its energy-boosting agency. Similar to creatine, ginseng can stimulate cognitive function, making it a sought-after herb for improving sports and mental performance.
Take heed of our suggestions
While we have only listed a few ingredients to consider when formulating your custom herbal supplements, there are many others that consumers purchase to benefit their mental state. These are scientifically backed ingredients that consumers believe in due to ongoing studies and
research that never stops. Another much observed herbal ingredient is St. John’s Wort, a yellow-flowered plant that has been used medicinally since ancient Greek times. Research has shown that as a supplement, St. John’s Wort can be effective for mild to moderate depression. However, it is known to interfere with numerous medications. That is why you should always incorporate a disclaimer on your product label stating that individuals should consult with their doctor(s) before taking your herbal supplement, or any supplement for that matter. You may be sailing with supplement sales right now, but we strongly advise you list warnings so you don’t run into any trouble down the road.
Manufacturing herbal supplements for all
Your mental health supplements with a focus on herbal ingredients can accommodate nearly every kind of consumer out there. With the help of a supplement manufacturer as equipped as Makers Nutrition, you have the opportunity to offer products that are:
- Gluten free
- Vegan friendly
- Sugar free
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners
Herbal supplement delivery formats
Not only can we produce high-quality supplements manufactured up to your exact specifications, but we can also deliver them in the form of:
Way beyond supplement manufacturing
Our services extend way beyond manufacturing. We handle your chosen delivery format with your chosen packaging format. That could be bottles, boxes, blister packs, or bags. After everything is packaged, your informative and FDA-compliant labels are applied to those containers, and we warehouse them in our state-the-art GMP-registered facility for optimal fulfillment. Here, you can rely on real-time updates and alerts 24/7. Our fulfillment systems support a practical selection of shipping methods from each carrier. As orders are processed, we optimize your carriers to reduce shipping costs. Our perfected systems also allow you to benefit from high volume discount pricing. In other words, we cut costs without cutting corners.
Commitment to success
Remember, choosing the right supplement as a consumer is just as important as choosing the right manufacturer as an entrepreneur. The Makers Nutrition team is dedicated to dietary supplement brands making a difference in the wellness, both mental and physical, of others. We are cognizant of what it takes to thrive in niche areas such as herbal supplements. From concept to fruition, we are prepared to play our part in your success. Are you?