When considering the best way to lose weight, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Everyone and every body is different. It is just a matter of finding the right balance of the type of food consumed, exercise maintained, stress managed, and supplements taken.
Weight loss market growth at a glance
The global weight loss supplements market size was valued at $33.4 billion in 2020 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 16.6% from 2021-2028.
Causes of growth
Rising cases of
- Heart disease
Today, we are taking a look at different supplements that are proving to be helpful for consumers facing obesity and those who are interested in improving their wellness. But first, some important information about one of the biggest problems in American health: obesity.
According to the World Health Organization, around 2.8 million people die every year becausethey are overweight or obese. The WHO estimates about 115 million individuals are suffering from obesity-related conditions in developing countries. Therefore, the growing dependence on weight loss supplements to maintain normal body weight is expected to propel market growth. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), the United States obesity prevalence was 41.9% in 2017 through March 2020. From 1999-2000 through 2017—March 2020, the U.S. obesity prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%.
Childhood obesity is a serious issue in America. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) National Center for Health Statistics, observing children and adolescents aged 2-19 years in 2017-2020 unveiled that:
- The prevalence of obesity was 19.7% and affected around 14.7 million children and adolescents.
- Obesity prevalence was 12.7% among 2 to 5-year-olds, 20.7% among 6 to 11-year-olds, and 22.2% among 12 to 19-year-olds.
A Stanford University School of Medicine study indicated that having obese parents is the factor that most increases the likelihood of childhood obesity. If you guide parents with supplementation, then you can help them guide their children in the right direction of health.
Custom Nutraceutical Weight loss supplements
The top ten best-selling ingredients sold in supplements you may formulate with are:
1. Caffeine – should be taken cautiously as caffeine can raise blood pressure and heart rate. However, caffeine can also boost the metabolic rate and increase fat burning, while showing potential to delay appetite.
2. Garcinia cambogia – a small, pumpkin-shaped, yellow or greenish fruit, garcinia cambogia is often used in curries and halts hunger, be it in food or dietary supplements.
3. Green tea extract – a concentrated form of green tea, this extract can be manufactured into a well-encapsulated supplement or processed into a fine powder. It is rich in caffeine and the polyphenol EGCG, which are compounds known to help shed fat.
4. Catechins – a sub-class of flavonoids, or antioxidant compounds, catechins are abundantlyfound in green tea, strawberries, red wine, and apricots. In addition to promoting weight loss, they are thought to play a beneficial role in reducing the risk of various diseases, including Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, and cardiovascular disease.
5. Green coffee extract – though more research is required, green coffee bean extract has been shown to help burn fat.
6. CLA – conjugated linoleic acid is a fatty acid that occurs naturally in small amounts in dairy products and red meat. Some studies indicate that CLA can aid weight loss efforts and increase lean body mass. This ingredient is often offered in softgel or powder form, mixed with other ingredients like carnitine or interestingly, sesame seed lignan extract.
7. Protein powder – probably the most popular supplement used for losing weight. A high protein intake can help burn fat by boosting metabolism and curbing appetite, and it may support muscle mass. For example, a study of 60 participants who were overweight and obese found that a high protein diet was almost twice as effective as a moderate protein diet at burning fat. Proteincan curb appetite by increasing levels of fullness hormones like GLP-1 CCK, and PYY while reducing levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin. Options for manufacturing protein supplements include whey, casein, egg, pea, and soy. We can help you manufacture protein into low-sugar, high-quality supplements for individuals trying to get down to a healthy weight. Learn about how we can serve as your protein manufacturer, then request a quote.
8. Soluble fiber - Soluble fiber absorbs water in the digestive tract and forms a viscous gel-like substance. Research has shown that soluble fiber can help burn fat by curbing appetite because this type of fiber may help increase levels of PYY and GLP-1, similarly to protein. Psyllium, for example, is a soluble fiber that can help delay gastric emptying and stay in the stomach longer, which supports satiety. Research wise, a recent study found that overweight and obese individuals who took a daily fiber supplement reported less hunger after meals than those taking a placebo. It is important to drink plenty of water when consuming a fiber supplement, as it may constipate you otherwise.
9. Yohimbine – Many brands sell yohimbine supplements for weight loss. Yohimbine’s ability to block the alpha-2 adrenergic receptors located in fat cells could lead to increased fat loss. One study evaluated the effects of yohimbine supplementation in 20 obese females who consumed a 1,000 calorie diet for three weeks. The women taking the supplement lost a considerable more amount of weight than those taking a placebo—7.8 pounds vs. 4.9 pounds.
10. Capsaicin – usually extracted from chili peppers, capsaicin is added to weight loss supplements because research shows that it may speed up metabolism, increase fat burning, and suppress hunger.
White label weight loss
Our weight loss matrix capsules are a great option for younger companies trying to kickstart their private label supplement business. With a low MOQ of just 500 units, you can easily offer a high quality, energy supporting, fat burning product to people seeking a solution. We can have your supplement manufactured, packaged and ready for delivery in as few as four weeks, so you get to selling and to lowering the statistics of obesity as soon as possible.
A two-way street
As well said in Vitamin Retailer by Mark Becker, obesity is among the easiest medical conditions to recognize but one of the most difficult to treat. Unhealthy weight gain is responsible for more than 300,000 deaths per year. With a rise in interest among consumers to take more natural approaches towards better health, your brand can benefit from this interest and help countless people shed the fat that could cost them their lives.
Design an appealing label
To help consumers, there must be well-rounded guidance. Supplements alone will not solve their problem. In combination with supplementing with safe products, your customers should be incorporating healthy eating habits, exercising, hydrating, and managing the stress they face. They will then be on a better track to wellness. You can advise about this combination through an expertly designed supplement label, which our artists can create.
Supplement manufacturing certifications
Is your current supplement manufacturer qualified to be manufacturing, let alone discussing, your business goals? If not, then you may be putting your customers’ health and safety in jeopardy. We are FDA registered and GMP compliant through and through. That means we hold our facility and products to the highest standards, so you have the peace of mind when offering your private label or custom weight loss supplements which claim to be non-GMO, free of artificial colors, and gluten free. What you see on the label matches what is in the bottle, box, or bag exactly. If you are unsure of what other questions to ask before contract supplement manufacturing, then we have a list just for you. If you are interested in having your supplements safely and efficiently manufactured, then request a quote and we will get started right away!
- Becker, Mark. “Will Consumers Buy In to Legitimate Weight Management Solutions?” Vitamin Retailer, Apr 2023, pp. 42-43.