Recent research suggests that Vitamin B6 supplements may help people with anxiety and depression, indicating the nutrient’s potential ability to support mental health. This research also points to the power of vitamins overall, as B6 casts a wide net, promoting immune health, heart health, and joint health. Read on to learn what else Vitamin B supplementation has to offer your customers.
What is Vitamin B6?
Vitamin B6 is a nutrient that supports proper function of the central nervous system and metabolism. It plays a big part in converting food into energy and helping to generate neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin.
Health benefits of Vitamin B6
- Air pollution: First, a 2017 study suggested that B6 could work to protect against harmful effects of air pollution by minimizing the impact of pollution on the epigenome. The researchers hope their findings may lead to new measures in preventing epigenetic changes that could result from exposure to air pollution. This is important because the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that in 2016, 91% of the world’s population was living in places where official air quality levels were not met.
- Brain Health: Since Vitamin B6 helps to generate neurotransmitters, it is crucial in transporting chemical messengers, and energy utilization in the brain. Some studies have unveiled that a lack of Vitamin B6 may be associated with cognitive decline and dementia, as older individuals with higher blood levels of B6 have shown better memory skills. More evidence is needed to prove the effectiveness of this nutrient and perhaps shed more light on its positive impact on those with cognitive issues.
- Anxiety and Depression: Most recently, research has indicated that high daily doses of Vitamin B6 and to a lesser degree, B12, can help ease symptoms of anxiety and depression. A study published this past July, which involved 478 adults, effects of high-dose B6 and B12 for one month, showed that Vitamin B6 plays an important part in proper functioning of mood regulation and a trend toward reduced anxiety and depression. More research is on the way!
- Joint Pain: Rheumatoid arthritis affects more than 1 million people in the United States alone and is 2.5 times more common among females than it is among males. Supplements such as turmeric have proven helpful to those who suffer from joint pain linked to rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and Vitamin B6 might just be another to add to the list. Here’s why: when the body experiences high levels of inflammation caused by RA, levels of B6 may decline. While it is still foggy as to whether supplementing with this nutrient decreases inflammation in people with RA, a 30-day study in 36 adults with the condition found that 50 mg of Vitamin B6 a day corrected low blood levels of B6 but did not decrease the production of inflammatory molecules in the body. That said, more research could help make more proper conclusions about the vitamin’s role in mitigating inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Nausea During Pregnancy: Vitamin B6 has been used for many years in alleviating nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. While researchers are not completely certain why B6 helps with morning sickness, they think it may be because adequate Vitamin B6 plays vital roles in ensuring a healthy pregnancy. One study involving 342 women in their first 17 weeks of pregnancy found that a daily B6 supplement of 30 mg considerably reduced feelings of nausea after five days of use, compared to a placebo. Another study compared the impact of ginger and Vitamin B6 in reducing episodes of nausea and vomiting in 126 pregnant women. The results demonstrated that taking 75 mg of B6 every day did in fact decrease nausea and vomiting symptoms by 31% after just four days. That’s less than a week!
A need for Vitamin B6
Most people can attain their daily dose of Vitamin B6 through foods such as tuna, salmon, bananas, beefs, potatoes, chicken, and turkey. Of the nearly 80 million vegans in the world, and individuals whose medical condition prevent the body from retaining adequate B6 amounts, there are plenty of consumers who could use your high-quality B6 or B complex supplements.
How to know if someone is deficient in B6
Perhaps the site you lead customer to via link or QR code also includes information regarding how to spot a Vitamin B6 inadequacy. Symptoms that may become evident are fatigue, anemia, sleepiness, sores in the sides of the mouth, and a swollen tongue. This could not only spread awareness, but also draw consumers in to purchase your product.
Manufacturing Better B Vitamins
It is extremely important that you always direct consumers to consult their health physician before taking any dietary supplements. PharmD Amy Sapola, who is also a certified wellness coach with a bachelor’s degree in nutrition, tells Healthline, “More is not better when it comes to B vitamin supplementation. With mild to moderate deficiency, I would encourage a two-fold approach using a B complex supplement (instead of Vitamin B6 alone) that contains around 100% of the DV for each of the B vitamins in addition to increasing the amount of vegetable-forward diverse whole foods that are high in B vitamins that they are consuming.” She continues, “When selecting supplements, I also like to examine the inactive ingredients to make sure that the product does not contain unnecessary fillers, artificial colors, and/or potential allergens (ex. gluten, soy, dairy, corn, etc.).”
Makers Nutrition as your Vitamin B Supplement Manufacturer
PharmD Sapola raises a couple of interesting points above.
B Complex: Many people are buying B complex supplements to ensure a whole array of health benefits. B1, B2, B3, B5, yes B6, B7, B9, and B12 can all be manufactured into one superior capsule, tablet, or gummy. After your customers have spoken with their doctor and know they should be taking a B complex supplement, they could then turn to your brand for products manufactured in an FDA-registered, GMP-compliant facility—that’s us, Makers Nutrition.
Allergen Factor: We have served hundreds of companies in their efforts to provide people with a supplemental alternative that suits their sensitivities and higher health consciousness. Your private label supplement manufacturing through Makers Nutrition can grant more individuals access to products that help improve their wellbeing sans the unnecessary ingredients. We are pros at handling soy free, gluten free, dairy free, and artificial preservative free vitamins, and have seen clients find much success in offering these accessible dietary supplements.
White Label Option for Private Label Supplement Manufacturing
We offer a plethora of readily available stock formulas that you may choose to private label as your own. Of the many options, our team can produce naturally flavored B complex gummies that are low in sugar, vegan friendly, and contain no artificial colors. Curious? Request a quote.
Consumer education through contract manufacturing
When discussing your custom label design with your graphic artist, consider what you have learned above and apply it to your marketing strategy. The most successful brands in the nutraceutical industry are those that incorporate an educational element to their private labeling. When figuring out to whom you should market your Vitamin B6 joint support supplements, think of the information that is just waiting to be consumed. It really depends on your business goals and the direction in which you are looking to steer your private label brand. While Vitamin B6 may help both men and women, remember that rheumatoid arthritis is 2.5 times more common among females. Appeal to your target consumer. Makers Nutrition’s talented graphic designers can take the information you wish to relay and make a standout label of it. Visit our site to see some of their work today!