The global collagen market size was valued at $9.1 billion in 2022, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 10.2% from 2023-2030. Learn all about collagen’s importance to the body and mindbelow, then request a quote for us to get stated on your next best-selling supplement.
What is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body. It is found in the muscles, skin, bones, and tendons. It creates a scaffold that provides strength and structure within the body, an essential component of connective tissues and plays a critical role as the glue holding the body’s tissues together. A pretty important protein!
There are 28 types of collagen, but the four most common place ones are:
- Type I: found in all connective tissue, one of the most abundant types present in the human body and helps to support skin. Type I makes up 90% of the body’s collagen.
- Type ll: found in joints and intervertebral discs, or the cushions that serve as the spine’s shock absorbers.
- Type lll: the main component of reticular fibers, found in the skin and blood vessels.
- Type lV: a component of our kidneys, inner ear, and eye lens.
- Type V: found in the cornea of the eyes, some layers of skin, hair, and tissue of the placenta.
Foods with collagen
Collagen is naturally found in:
- Chicken skin
- Pork skin
Who should take collagen?
Since collagen comes from the connective tissues of animals, that leaves vegetarians and vegans at a loss. Your high-quality collagen supplements could also target people who are in their twenties, thirties and beyond. Tracey Warner Halama, CEO of Vital Proteins tells Nutritional Outlook, “We need to reinforce the science behind collagen. One-third of the protein in the human body is collagen, and by the time you’re 30, collagen production can decline 1% per year. For this reason, collagen peptides supplementation is for everybody at every life stage.” Consumers are bound to pass by a collagen product at the store or scroll past one on Instagram, many of whom are in the age range that your collagen may help. Why not make the brand that stands out yours?
What can collagen do for people?
Manufactured collagen provides many health benefits. Here are five specific areas that collagen can positively impact:
- Bones: Human bones are made mostly of collage, giving them structure. As collagen declines with age, so does bone mass. This could lead to conditions like osteoporosis, characterized by low bone density and a higher risk of bone fractures. Studies prove that collagen supplements may hinder the bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis.
- Strength: Research shows that supplemental collagen can promote the synthesis of muscle proteins such as creatine, while stimulating muscle growth after exercise.
- Heart: Since collagen provides structure for arteries, the blood vessels that carry blood from the heart t the rest of the body, without adequate amounts of it, arteries may become less flexible and elastic. That effect could lead to atherosclerosis, a disease in which the arteries narrow, raising the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Joints: Similar to how collagen supports bones, it supports joints. It helps maintain the integrity of cartilage, the rubber-like tissue that protects joints. When collagen decreases with age, risk of degenerative joint disorders like osteoarthritis increases. Studies suggest that taking collagen can help with overall joint discomfort and improve symptoms of osteoarthritis. A review of studies in people with osteoarthritis found that collagen products led to considerable improvements in joint stiffness and overall osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Skin: A major component of skin, collagen plays an important role in strengthening skin, and maintaining its hydration and elasticity. As the body ages, it produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and wrinkles. Many believe collagen to be the key in keeping up with healthy skin and a glowing appearance. It is the touted ingredient in many products that promote beauty from within.
- Brain: Interestingly, collagen may help stave off Alzheimer's disease. According to a study conducted by scientists at the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease, University of California, San Francisco and Stanford, collagen VI may protect brain cells from amyloid-beta proteins, which are widely believed to cause Alzheimer’s disease. The team observed brain tissue of individuals with Alzheimer’s and that of individuals without. It was found that collagen VI expression was higher in the Alzheimer’s patients. In addition, the cellular source of collagen VI in the brain was neurons—the same cells the disease attacks and needed for thinking and remembering. These findings are refreshing because no one had previously known anything about collagen VI in the brain and opens a whole new area to explore for both scientists and supplement business owners.
Supplementing with collagen may also assist with the following:
- Mood - while more research is needed, individuals claim that collagen works to improve mood while lowering anxiety symptoms.
- Gut health - some physicians may suggest consumers take collagen supplements to help with leaky gut syndrome, aka intestinal permeability.
- Weight loss - many people believe collagen promotes weight loss and faster metabolism.
Custom collagen manufacturing
Over the past several years, collagen supplements have become high in demand. Most are hydrolyzed, which means the collagen has been broken down to make it easier to absorb. These supplements come manufactured in powder form but are also available in capsules. The types of collagen found in supplements vary — some contain one or two types, while others contain up to five. It all depends on your own research and intent of the supplement you offer.
Private label collagen options
On of the greatest features of inquiring about our manufacturing services is that you will likely find what you are looking for in our program. We have collagen formulas ready to go in two different forms:
- Powders: as established earlier, most collagen supplements are made of hydrolyzed collagen. Our stock collagen powder comprises hydrolyzed bovine collagen and supports healthy hair, skin, and nails. This unflavored powder also supports bones and joints, and certainly dissolves quickly, making it easy for your customers to stir.
- Gummies: The global gummy vitamin market size is expected to be worth over $8.5 billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 5.31% during the forecast period of 2022-2027. Your private label can be part of that growth, offering collagen gummies that are non-GMO, gluten free, contain no artificial colors, artificial flavors, and no artificial sweeteners. Our private label multivitamin collagen gummies contain a multitude of vitamins, minerals, and 10 mg of fish collagen per serving. If you choose our gummies, your customers will enjoy raspberry pomegranate flavored benefits that can promote immune system function and so much more. They may also enjoy our naturally peach-flavored, non-GMO, gluten free gummies, which comprise collagen, Vitamin C, and biotin, offering support for overall health.
Precautions with collagen supplements
Your product label should always list a warning for consumers who are unaware of what is actually in your supplements. Even if those consumers eat meat, they could be allergic to fish or any other ingredient you’ve had manufactured.
Graphic design services accelerated
Need a fresh vitamin label design for your startup supplement brand? Interested in changing things up with an original logo? We are glad you’re here. Since Makers Nutrition hires top talent, we can guarantee you creative graphic design services that carry over from just a label. With your Makers Nutrition designer, you can discuss the packaging of your product and actually see that discussion come to fruition. We can apply labels to white HDPE or PET bottles, boxes, and even bags that will hold high-quality collagen. While freelance graphic artists may rush you off the telephone or charge you an unreasonable amount of money, we have in-house designers who are eager to hear what you have in mind.
When your supplement fact panel and label are created, they go through a rigorous compliance test to ensure that what you have listed on your label and written about your product is in the correct order and within the confines of FDA regulations. That is, if you partner with the full-service Makers Nutrition and not a second-rate manufacturer.